The Declaration of the Rights of All Students to Equity in Arts Learning
What is the Declaration?
All California students deserve to have access to quality arts education to provide them with the skills they need to succeed in college, career and life. Yet particular groups of students experience significant barriers to access, participation and success in arts learning that are directly linked to pervasive inequities in our educational system.
Recognizing this, Create CA has launched a statewide effort to promote the Declaration of the Rights of All Students to Equity in Arts Learning, among districts and organizations which outlines each student’s right to have access to high-quality public arts education, regardless of their background, culture, language or geographic location. The Declaration highlights that arts learning – which includes dance, music, theatre, and visual and media arts – is an essential part of a comprehensive education for all students.
Demonstrate Your Commitment to the Arts
We invite your school district or organization to show your support for arts in learning by becoming an Arts Equity DISTRICT or CHAMPION. Your district or organization can demonstrate its commitment to ensuring all students have the same right to fully develop their creative potential by passing a resolution to adopt the Declaration of the Rights of All Students to Equity in Arts Learning. Create CA will recognize your district or organization on a statewide map of Arts Equity Districts and Champions. Read recent KPPC coverage of this statewide effort.
Our Model Resolution to adopt the Declaration outlines the following actions districts can take to signal their commitment to a creative education for all students:
- Post the Arts Equity District badge on the district’s website and social media channels.
- Ask staff members to encourage students to participate in arts education as part of their classes and through visual and media arts, music, dance and theatre arts courses.
- Understand and analyze the district’s secondary school data in the California Arts Education Data Project and reporting the findings at a board meeting.
- Use the data project findings to support the establishment of a strategic arts plan to achieve the Declaration’s goals.
- Dedicate appropriate resources to support genuine arts engagement, production and appreciation – such as using academic materials that align with state standards, creating or adding staff positions and providing suitable facilities that allow students to participate in visual and performing arts, music and associated arts education.
New! A Model Resolution for Cities
A model resolution tailored to community organizations to signal their commitment to a creative education for all students.
- Post the Arts Equity Champion badge on the organization’s website and social media channels.
- Review the organization’s arts education programs to analyze how those programs support and encourage equity and access to arts education for every student.
- Use the California Arts Education Data Project findings to explore establishing a strategic arts plan that will help the organization effectively partner with school districts to achieve and fulfill the Declaration.
- Dedicate appropriate resources and partner with school districts to implement their strategic arts plans that allow ALL students to participate in visual and performing arts learning.
- Promote arts learning that honors all cultures and languages by developing staff capacities, identifying community resources and creating opportunities for students to contribute to the design of their learning.
Help spread the word about this effort by using the materials in our communication toolkit:
- Full declaration
- Model resolution to adopt the declaration
- Model resolution to adopt the Declaration for organizations
- Template newsletter for organizations to send to their members and networks
- Template newsletter from a district or organization that has adopted the Declaration
- Template press release for a district or organization that has adopted the Declaration
- Talking points
- Template social media posts
- Arts Equity District badge
- Arts Equity Champion badge
- Arts Equity Champion Critical Incident by Policy Link
By adopting the Declaration, your district will demonstrate its commitment to ensure that all students have the right to develop their creative and academic potential and that your schools nurture the skills to prepare students for the 21st century workforce.